Three thoughts: Are we at ANSCA's mercy?

1. I just thought last night that once we start with Corona are we at ANSCA's mercy as to yearly subscription costs.

2. Also, like many people I imagine, I never really read the user agreement: If a game done with corona becomes a big money maker, is ANSCA owed a percentage?

3. And when Corona gets out of beta will we be able to instal the compiler on owr computers so that we can compile Corona/Lua code locally? I mean...what if I want to move deep in the country so that I can intensely develop with no distraction. There's electricity but no Internet. How can I continue to develop using Corona unless the compiler runs on my local machine?

Actually, *NO* you are not at our MERCY!

For number two, If a game done with corona becomes a big money maker, is ANSCA owed a percentage? the answer is *NONE* *ZIP* *ZERO* *ZILCH*

We don't even ask that you put an Ansca Corona splash screen on the product or any attributions related to Corona.

It is on our FAQ for everyone to read as well.

http://anscamobile.com/faq/

Do you charge a royalty per app?

No. Unlike some other companies products or services, you will not be charged based on the number of apps you build or sell. We don't put up an Ansca/Corona splash screen, no watermark, and we don't even require any attributions to Ansca or Corona. You are obviously welcome to do so, but we will leave that up to you.

--

For number 3, we have received numerous feedback from other developers as well regarding the subject of building without having access to a server. As it is right now, a connection is required, but that could change in the future, but I don't think it is going to happen any time soon. It is on our radar though, and we are aware of the request.

--

For item number 1, we believe that a subscription model is best for frequently released updates. The main reason for the subscription model is so that you can get frequent updates, and dot releases as part of your regular schedule Corona updates. Unlike traditional software models where you pay a copious amount of money up front, where the release cycle is usually about eighteen months, often with no significant updates, and then you have to buy a new version or upgrade, a subscription model will give you updates, bug fixes, and new features throughout the year. Again this could change in the future, but this is our current model.

Carlos Icaza CEO

Great answers. Thanks.

I really do have to take the time to read the user agreement.

After trying the trial version for only a week or so I was so excited by Corona that I just jumped right in.

I think Ansca is really fair on all those basis. Even though you can only build with an internet connection, we have to be honest, where don't you have an internet connection these days? If you're developing mobile apps, I HIGHLY doubt you'd ever be working from anywhere that you don't have access to the internet.

I am concerned about one thing though. I'm a poor college student. I was more than happy to pay the $99 fee so I quickly subscribed. I see the price is going to go up to $250/year. I for one can't pay that. I really hope Ansca will be loyal to their early users who had no problem shelling out $99 for a beta product and continue to honor the $99/year subscription fee.

But otherwise, I'm really happy. I think all the staff does a great job and the product is only going to get better.

I agree with DFox about continuing the $99/year subscription fee for those of us who signed on the beta program. $250/year would make me think about continuing with ANSCA. That would be REALLY steep when compared to the $99/year for Apple Dev program where you get a WHOLE lot more: access to the App store, lots of tools, and early access to the software like iOS4.

But I would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a compiler that I could install and run locally.

Well you could look at it another way it will spur you on to get some apps on the app store and generate some revenue to cover your subscription cost!

I'm very curious about anscas approach to the compiler. Why not include it in local corona app? What reason is there to have our apps compiled on your server?

Because the compiler needs a background setup (xcode etc) to be based on, which would be then a responsibility of the end user to care about (install, configure, update etc).

Corona's unofficial moto is "care less, produce more". You can trust them, it works nicely so far!

PS: You still have to use a mac with xcode installed to build a Corona game but as soon as you once install the SDK you don't have to care anymore about the xcode thing.

Plus does the word copy protection come into your mind? With the server approach, you eliminate hacker to crack the app and use it without paying for a subscription. I think it is the perfect solution for ANSCA.

views:1619 update:2011/9/21 9:18:04
corona forums © 2003-2011