Fill a primitive object with a bitmap

I would like to be able to fill a background out in the same way that css does using background repeat.

A use case I have at the moment is a scroll view that is dynamic in height according to it's contents. The contents sit on a background rectangle that also adjusts with the content. This rectangle is just a newRect that is white, I would like to fill it with a repeating background of a paper texture.

I am trying to write my own function that does this but it would just be easier for it to be included by you guys ;)

I imagine it could be done with a new addition to newRect like this:

display.newRect( [parentGroup,] left, top, width, height, bitmapFillImageLink )

Also would be nice to work with dynamic resolution.

Cheers!

Great idea, +1.

The function I wrote to achieve this is below.

Please note that I only needed it to fill out vertically but I am sure it could be adapted easily to work any other way.

--[[Make sure to define a rectangle the height of the content above this function. in my case it is called detailBG

there is also a displayGroup called detailScreenScroll defined above this.

And finally there is an image called detailBgTop at the top of the content group defined above this]]--

local function tileBG()

local paper = display.newImageRect("bg-repeat.png", 320, 73)
        paper:setReferencePoint(display.TopCenterReferencePoint)
        paper.x = (display.contentWidth / 2)
        paper.y = detailBgTop.height
        detailScreenScroll:insert(2, paper)

local maxHeight = math.ceil(detailBG.height / paper.height)-- getting the total amount of images we need to fill the background using the total height divided by the height of each background image

paper:removeSelf()--removing the original image as we have the height details we need from it.

bgInstance = {}--setting up table

maxBg = math.ceil(maxHeight)--setting the max background height

for i = 1, maxBg do
                print(i)--printing us how many images we need to fill the background
                bgInstance[i] = display.newImageRect("bg-repeat.png", 320, 73)
                --bgInstance[i]:setReferencePoint(display.TopCenterReferencePoint)
                detailScreenScroll:insert(1, bgInstance[i])--inserting at the back of the displayGroup (because it's a background duh!)
                bgInstance[i].x = display.contentWidth / 2
                bgInstance[i].y = bgInstance[i].height * i
                -- the following if statement was because there was a bottom image I was using at the end of the repeated background if you dont need this then comment it out
                if (i == maxBg) then
                        bgInstance[maxBg]:setReferencePoint(display.TopCenterReferencePoint)
                        bgInstance[maxBg].y = (detailBgBot.y - bgInstance[maxBg].height)
                end
        end             
end

tileBG()
views:1743 update:2011/9/17 18:17:57
corona forums © 2003-2011