multitasking event type

Not sure if this is on the roadmap (that page seems to have disappeared) but can we get a way to detect multitasking events? I know the applicationExit event is triggered when the home button is pressed, but there should also be a way to detect if a user is starting the application from the background (multitasking) or if they are launching it for the first time (or the app was removed from multitasking).

For now I can read/write a text file to fake this behavior but I can't detect if a user removes the app from the multitasking menu.

Currently Corona doesn't support background operation. When the user presses the Home button the app will receive an applicationExit event. If the device goes to sleep, the app receives an appplicationSuspend and then a applicationResume events (on wakeup). You can see a demo of this in the SystemEvents sample app.

When we start supporting true background operation I'm sure Corona will expose more event messages.

-Tom

>> When we start supporting true background operation

I wish it will come very quickly !! it's a very important feature for me ... do you know when ?

Replying to this thread so I can get replies to my email. I also am interested in finding out when multitasking events will be supported.

My app currently crashes when resuming from multitasking on the ipod touch 4. Does this happen to everyone or is there a way around it?

Yes, jonbeebe posted a tutorial in the Off topic forum (you'll see it, it's on the first page) that fixes the issue nicely.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but is multitasking coming within the next 6 months, or is it on the distant future side of things?

good question, would also like an eta...or, is this in any current beta build?

Hello. I'm also interested to know if multitasking is out in the daily builds or if it's going to be out any time soon...
When I switch from my app to another (in multitask) on the iPad, it does it but first it freezes for 7 seconds.

Is there anything I should listen to to be able to avoid this?

Also when I come back to the App it starts again from the Splash screen.

seb

I just updated 'Float' it says the update was to support 'multitasking' and yes it does it! (the app still has the same bugs as before) It started immediately after switching back to it! But there appears to be no new info here for the rest of us paying folks. I'm still looking but I would think this would be a really BIG DEAL! I've been waiting for this and several other 'coming soon' items.

Is this the place to start the discussion again about allowing us to create our own libs to support new features that we need to create our apps? With IOS5 there will be 100's of new APIs while we are still waiting on support for 1000's from previous IOS releases. I have real apps to write and I can't use corona to do it because the support is not there for the APIs I need and they won't let me link in my own libs for some reason that always eludes me. Must have something to do with the green and white round thingie that picked me up the other night...

But that's another story...

Come on Carlos, help us out here!

P.S. Did anyone notice the change to the license in the 1.1 version of the 'Official UI'? It states that your changes to the code may be used in future corona releases with or without your knowledge! Hmm, are they keeping COPIES of ALL our code somehow? And USING it with out any way for us to know! Hmm, not sure I like the direction here.

Yeah, sorry I paid, thought support would come sooner. At this rate I'm looking at other solutions. In some ways lua is more painful to work with than objective c and I'm seeing none of the benefits of iOS improvements. Multitasking, background music, REAL GameCenter support, and with iOS 5 so close I've learned I can't wait for corona to keep up.

So, if you build any app with Corona, your app will get killed and restart completely any time someone switches to another app? That's quite a setback.

views:2047 update:2011/9/17 18:17:57
corona forums © 2003-2011