Difinitive guide to folder struction across devices?

I've been sifting thru forum posts and online docs trying to find out if we can or cannot organize assets into different folders eg. graphics/myImage.png

From what I've gathered so far, iOS supports assets such as audio and graphics in project sub-folders but Android still does not.

For example, the following should work on iOS but would not on Android. Correct?

local floor_001 = display.newImageRect( midgroundLayer, "graphics/floorLeft.png", 16, 16 )

The only official docs regarding folder structure that I've been able to find so far are in the Creating Projects (http://developer.anscamobile.com/content/application-programming-guide-projects) doc under "Starting a project"

Which says:
"Notice that the code and non-code assets (e.g. images) are in the same directory."

It would be nice if the docs could be updated to reflect recent changes and to include information on whether or not sub-directories will ever been supported on Android. And if there are any specific rules for various file types and folder structures that we should be aware of. For example, is graphics/puppies/are_cute/really_cute_puppy.png supported?

Also I'm curious if there's any difference when using sub-directories in main.lua versus anotherScript.lua.

I'm less familiar with the issue around assets (sounds, images, etc) but I've discovered that you CAN subfolder them for building, although the Corona simulator seems to sometimes have trouble finding them during testing...at least when I use a function to return the 1st two params to newImage(imagePath, directory)

But regarding /subfolder/anyfile.lua

This works fine in the Corona simulator but throws all sorts of problems when building for xCode. As such, I've abandoned all of my subfolders for code organization EXCEPT for those related to debugging ONLY under the Corona Sim.

views:1564 update:2011/10/3 8:06:12
corona forums © 2003-2011