display.newImageRect slow?

Is display.newImageRect very slow on Android devices? Our game runs fine and switches scenes smoothly on iOS devices. The only thing I can think of that is slowing the game down is loading images via display.newImageRect(). For example, going to the Credits scene, only two images are loaded: a background image of 480x360 (800x600 actual size, using 1.5x image suffix), and a much smaller back button image. This takes more than 3 seconds to load, but loads instantly on iOS devices. I'm testing on an HTC Evo 4G running Android 2.2 and the .apk was built for Android 2.2 as well. Another place where the game lags (freezes for about 1 second) is when a button is clicked and its image is replaced by another one. In other words, the game detects touch up event inside the button, deletes the display object for it, and replaces it with a new one via display.newImageRect. The button is small, not more than 100 points wide, and yet it takes ~ 1 second to load its image and the whole game freezes? Again, its instantaneous on iOS devices.

Also, this performance is after I have disabled animated transitions in the director library. All of this works smoothly including the transition animations via director.lua on iOS devices.

Answers from Ansca would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same issue with the app I am developing... 3 second delay for a large background image... on an overclocked G2! I replaced all calls to image newrect and it was still slow!

I would like Ansca to directly list the reason so that I don't feel paranoid and keep checking the forums.

See my thread about dropping support for any Android OS below 2.

For Froyo 2.2 ARMV7 we found a bug in Android an fixed it ourselves via a workaround that increases file io performance drastically.

C.

Is there a version for non registered users coming out? Funding to get a license is continent on showing a proof of concept my app. The simulator is good for me, not my client.

views:1775 update:2011/10/9 9:57:41
corona forums © 2003-2011