Monday Jan 17th 2011 **** ALERT *** SERVER RESPONSIVENESS

Due to the overwhelming demand being taxed on our servers you may experience some latency. We upgraded our servers capacities yesterday and our IT department is monitoring the server load closely.

You should not experience any latency, but in case you do, let us know, but rest-assured we are monitoring actively. (NASA control center type of monitoring it)

Carlos

Overwhelming demand is good. A sign of things to come. Well done on that front.

I ran infra ops in a MNC for a good chunk of my professional life so I know how hard it gets when unexpected demand starts pouring in.

One idea. You could think about going from the real time build process to a queue based one to relieve the tension a little. This way you can commit to an SLA as in your app will be built in under 5 mins, 10 mins etc. You would then build and send an email to the user with a link where they can get the app from etc. The details can be adjusted of course.

The beauty of this model could be that it would afford you a business model that I think you might be thinking about with paid support customers etc. You could say free trial users get best effort builds, registered users get bumped up in the queue to get 5mins or less build and finally paid support users get bumped all the way up getting build time of a min or less etc.

Something to consider. Its very hard to win the real time game without investing a billion like Apple did! Good luck!

Thanks !

So far, servers taking the load -

C

Are you running Drupal on the same server cluster? I'm getting fairly frequent SQL timeouts on your forum and it seems much slower than before. Just constructive feedback. No biggie.

I sure hope they do not go to a queue based build system. This would be nuts when you want to test things that are device only tests. There are times you may build 4 or 5 times in 10 mins. to tweak something or see what kind of results you get before you go on. That would be a huge blow to people trying to learn the language and SDK when they need to wait 10+ mins to see the results of changing a value on a variable.

Big time against that idea. If the simulator could simulate everything it would be no big deal, but it can not.

All I'm saying is that realities of the world may dictate a path this way. Lets look at it this way. I paid my yearly subscription and I am on the same server as non-paying trial users who are slowing me down. How do I feel as a paying customer? How will the paying more customers feel (with the SLA based licensing being floated around)? All I'm saying is that this coud be a good way to differentiate and put people into queues with different priorities in relation to the license they carry. Just a thought anyways.

There are quite a few server changes in the works right now to speed things up that are getting rolled out over the next week or so.

Performance has turned into something I was working on on the side, to the only thing I'm working on. Good changes are coming I promise :)

views:1579 update:2011/9/19 21:37:39
corona forums © 2003-2011