TexturePacker - Help & support

Hi corona users,

I am the developer of TexturePacker - a Mac and Windows tool for creating sprite sheets for corona.

I want to establish this thread to keep discussion about my tool in one place since I can't track the forum the whole day and want to keep discussions out of the main forum.

Cheers
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I am using the most updated version of TexturePacker Pro and I encounter the following problem with Corona:

When I publish a spritesheet and read the png from Corona SDK to show the graphics, if I make a change in my raw images and then press again refresh and publish in TP, the app can't manage to write the whole texture in the file (png). I get the message "Failed to write texture to file /Users...." and the png is only partially produced.

So, each time I want to change something, then republish it with TP and test it again inside my game I have to firstly open the proper folder, delete the PNG file and then republish it, for the process to be properly fulfilled. This gets annoying and I wish there was a trick to bypass the delete step.

I suspect that corona, even with the game paused, keeps the png file bussy, so TP can't write over it.

What I would propose as a solution, is an option to delete the files that TP is going to produce, in case they already exist (which happens every time you republish).

Could you take a look on this issue please?

Many thanks!

Beyond the above there is also another "problem" with Corona, which we have discussed in the past but still exists:

When you just have finished publishing a png from TP (with the relative print message been shown on the TP status bar) and then immediately run the game and show the sprites from Corona, the SDK usually crashes. This happens because the png file has not been actually closed from TP yet.

You have already included a message in TP that informs when the texture has been produced, but I suspect there is some other process that continues after that message for some seconds.

If you have any means to technically check if the png is indeed wholly produced and is closed by TP and ready for usage by other apps, please take such a check into account for the next release of TP, and update the print message you already show to be always accurate.

Thanks again!

If you press publish this happens:
Check if names are ok
Export lua
Export png
Check if AutoSD is turned on, of you export SD versions
Show message

The message is produced after the files are written and closed.

The only thing I could do is delay the message for some seconds - but the effect would just be the same as if you count up to 3 after you see the message...

Is anybody else experiencing these problems?

Andreas, the second post was not of great importance, I can indeed delay the pressing of "Run" in Corona. But please take into account the previous to that post, which is really an issue. Thanks!

Can you please contact me by mail support at texturepacker.com ? I'd like to have a close look at this. Perhaps we can talk via skype?

There's actually a separate Texture Packer forum at the bottom of the list of forums, but barely anyone uses it.

Ah - good point ;-)
Didn't see it yet...

Beta update is available on TexturePacker.com and if you enable beta updates. I hope this fixes the problem.

It deletes the files before writing them and removes the files if writing failed. It should also deliver a better error message.

Problem is solved and TexturePacker is now better than ever for Corona developers!

I am surprised by the super-high level of support you are providing Andreas.

You deserve the best success with TexturePacker.

Many thanks!

@Magenda and @Andreas.

I am really confused on how to implement texturepacker, with dual resolution.

I am using the autoSD option. This gives me two image files and two data files.

What about the config.lua? Do I take out the scale? or leave it?

What do I need to do to let the app to know what files to use?

I looked at http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2010/12/08/dynamic-retina-spritesheets-heres-how

But find it confusing. I try to apply it but with poor results. Also it seems to ignore the second .lua file generate by texture packer. Do I need to ignore it too?

Thanks for any help.

@Andreas

This has nothing to do with TexturePacker. No problem there.

@amigoni

I've answered you in the other thread.

@Magenda: Thanks! (again) ;-)

views:2133 update:2011/9/20 17:36:54
corona forums © 2003-2011