The word "Football" in game name?

I am deliberating on a name for my football game (based on UK football) and was going to call it "Football ----" but have recently been thinking that the term "Football" may not be considered to have the same meaning outside the UK. I realise in the US that there is American Football and Soccer so I wondered if having the word "Football" in my game title could be confusing to those outside the UK? I assume that the aim is to try and get people worldwide to download your game so having an internationally understandable name sounds like a sensible idea.

I believe that when submitting a game to app store I can add tags so I could add the tags "football" and "soccer". Not really sure how the whole naming and searching ties together yet.

Any advice or comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

I think most people throughout the world know what "soccer" means, so I would prefer to use this term.

Thanks x-pressive

Useful feedback. No reason why I can't use "soccer" instead of "football" - in fact it is actually shorter so has that benefit.

Even the FIFA and UEFA use the term football in their names, I always think of American Football and Australian Football first when I hear that name. To me(from Germany) we play soccer and the games with that egg shaped ball are either football or rugby.

Thanks Mike - I didn't realise Germany used the term soccer too. Hmm I think the term "football" is sure to be replaced with "soccer".

Do you think the name makes much difference in terms of people finding your game or do the tags have a greater effect?

No, we use "Fussball". I said, "To me(from Germany)..." and ment that I think like that "Football" means an egg shaped ball.

Fussball? I haven't heard that name before. Hmm good name for a game hehe. Interesting how many countries use the word "Football" for a different game from the football game we refer to in the UK. Perhaps better to avoid the words football and soccer and just have something more quirky!

Football is fine, but FIFA, WORLDCUP anythign trademarked then you can't use.

views:1527 update:2011/9/21 13:23:32
corona forums © 2003-2011