Android Move To SD Card Support

When downloading from the android market, move to sdcard isn't supported when it should be. Is there anyway to enable it or maybe release it in the next build?

If you add installLocation preferExternal to build.settings it can be moved to SD, and will default to installing directly on the SD card.

android =
        {       
                installLocation="preferExternal"
        },

Wow thanks Angelo. By the way I love your blast monkeys game. The android market version is fun. Do you know how to make a game side scrolling? Also how do you make a level select with level saves? Is there a website or something with a tutorial?

Thanks! Yeah I can make a scrolling game :) ~ I would start with putting all of your display objects in a group, then you can move the group to the left or right to scroll the level.

Save data is interesting, I setup a database using the SQLite stuff they have here, but it might just be easier to save JSON to a file. For level select I just loop through the levels in my level table, and generate a button based on the data for that level.

I don't know if there are any tutorials for it, but I did see this link going around on twitter with a bunch of tutorials. Maybe there's something there? http://www.learningcorona.com/

Hope that helps,
-Angelo

Wow awesome! Thanks so much for your reply! I have already been putting all of my display objects in a group. The part I still am having trouble with are saves. Is there any possible way that you could post the code on moving a group to the right?
I don't know what it would be...if you need help beta testing or anything feel free to email me at ninjapig123@gmail.com. I just need help on a few things. Also congrats on 100,000 plus downloads on OpenFeints game of the day :) I would die to have my apps get that many downloads. I have some great ideas that I can implement once I learn side scrolling so if you could post some example code it would be awesome and so kind!

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz -16 years old

Sure,

local world = display.newGroup()
--add stuf to world with insert
world.x = world.x + 1

Awesome thanks a bunch! Appreciate your time!

No problem!

-Angelo

I have this set in my build.settings file, but the app never seems to install to the SD card automatically.

Is anyone else having luck with that?

It does not save it to the SD Card automatically, it just enables the users to move it if they wish manually in Setting > Applications > Manage Applications

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios

@ninjapid123

Then what's the difference between "auto" and "preferExternal"?

There is no auto...? It's preferExternal, but it just allows users to move the files to the SD Card if they wish, but it wont do it automatically when the user installs the game.

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios

Weird, maybe it's an Android 2.3.4 bug, because I have 2.67GB of external Storage available, but app installs always end up on my internal storage regardless of the installLocation manifest.

From the Android Developer docs:
To allow the system to install your application on the external storage, modify your manifest file to include the android:installLocation attribute in the element, with a value of either "preferExternal" or "auto". If you declare "preferExternal", you request that your application be installed on the external storage, but the system does not guarantee that your application will be installed on the external storage. If the external storage is full, the system will install it on the internal storage. The user can also move your application between the two locations. If you declare "auto", you indicate that your application may be installed on the external storage, but you don't have a preference of install location. The system will decide where to install your application based on several factors. The user can also move your application between the two locations.

http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/install-location.html

views:2215 update:2011/9/17 18:17:57
corona forums © 2003-2011