Language Localization - Foreign Language Apps -- Build Settings?

Has anyone successfully created a localized app on the iTunes App Store with Corona? We have a localized app, but the App Store still lists it as "English" language only.

We are successfully detecting the language preference of the device, via:

local language = system.getPreference( "ui", "language" )

Don't you have the option to create new definitions for the other languages in iTunes for the same binary? By default I guess you create the English.

cheers,

?:)

Yes. As I said, we did that.

We have added 3 languages in iTunes besides English already.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. So far we have taken these two steps for localization:

1) We detect the language within the app and serve up different localized content depending on the language settings on the device.

2) We added 3 additional languages in iTunes, and entered foreign language App Store descriptions and uploaded foreign language screenshots.

But when you view the app listing in iTunes it just says: "Language: English"

Other localized apps have a list of languages following the word "Language:"

That's what I'm trying to figure out: How do we get that list of languages to appear? We have already created German, Japanese, French and English versions. We added localizations on iTunes Connect, added AppStore text in each of those languages and uploaded localized images. Still, no dice.

Do we need to add available languages to build.settings somehow?

I know that you have tried much more than what I could be suggesting, but have you had a read of this document from apple?
https://itunesconnect.apple.com/docs/iTunesConnect_DeveloperGuide.pdf ?

On page 64/65 you will find a reference to the internationalization, now If you could have screenshots of where you are stuck that wold be helpful.

cheers,

...and since xcode relies on .lproj files for language, if you add blank folders with the language names, that should trick iTunes to think there are localisations in your app.

en.lproj
es.lproj
de.lproj
and so on...

not tried, but give it a shot, it might just work...

cheers,

Thanks for the posts. Yes, we have followed all of the localization options on iTunes connect.

I haven't yet tried creating dummy .lproj directories for language. It's certainly something I can try... but I was assuming that other users had successfully localized apps previously with Corona -- and that this was something probably addressable via build.settings .... no?

Here are some screens to illustrate the problem:

Localizations have been added:

The app is successfully displaying localized content depending on device language settings:

But the AppStore still seems to display "English" only... ?

My guess is that I need to include some information within the binary for iTunes to pick up on.... Any ideas?

the .lproj folder is the one that I would add to my xcode project that contains the localisation strings file, this is what is in the app *that* I *think* is used by iTunes.

CoronaSDK gives you the base system via the getPreference() function, but that has nothing to do with the app being localised on the iTunes store.

*I could* not find a plist reference either that indicates localization, other than the .lproj directories.

so you could create a test dummy app and upload to iTunes to test.

cheers,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them and tried a few permutations and I'm not having any luck. Unfortunately I need to go live -- so I'll have to live with Corona's lack of localization capability for the time being.

I've added a Feature Request post, because I think this seems to be a very big glaring hole in Corona's feature set.

With other non-Corona apps, I've seen a pretty decent increase in sales in territories that are localized for -- and I'm surprised that Corona doesn't have the ability to localize using build.settings, or using the build dialog, or any other means. IMHO if there's one very easy-to-implement feature that has a positive effect on sales, it's localization.

Without the ability to localize Corona apps -- I'm going to have to think twice about whether Corona is right for future projects.

Thanks again for your help Jayantv!

@jroven0,

Do you have any luck with this? I'm also planning to use localization in the future so I've been following this thread.

I made a zip file for you if you wish to try it. This is based on @jayantv's idea but I don't think just putting the empty folders will be enough...

http://www.pixelenvision.com/wp-content/uploads/localize.zip

ZIP file contains .lproj folders with Localizable.strings files in it for all 4 languages you are trying to add...

Just extract those 4 folders in to your project so they will be included in your bundle when complied...

I hope that works. Please let us know if you try it! ;)

views:1984 update:2011/9/25 12:40:18
corona forums © 2003-2011