Noob help Parse Error

I just ran across Corona today and it looks good. I wanted to see the accelerometer feature work, so I just grabbed one of the projects here and built it, I didn't change anything. When I move the apk to my phone I get a Parse Error, there is a problem parsing the package.

I couldn't find anything searching, except about Adroid 2.2 versions, I'm unsure exactly what is going on with that. I have an LG Optimus LS670 and it's running 2.2.2

Am I doing something wrong?

Dan

http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2011/06/04/lg-optimus-s-ls670-doesnt-work

From this other post, it looks like you have an ARMv6 device ... Corona only runs on ARMv7 or above.

Ok thanks, too bad. It's pointless to use this if I can't even run on my own phone.

It's not pointless. You just need to upgrade your phone.

Quite true @ ninjapig123 ... my Samsung Galaxy arrives tomorrow so I can work on porting some of my iOS builds to Android and testing it out...

As others have said, it's not pointless, although I get why you're bummed out about it.

I have one of those phones, I got it because it was cheap and I needed an Android to play with for Corona - soon after armv6 was on longer supported.

In the big picture though this is for the best; a lot of games (not just Corona) run badly on that particular device. Have you tried Angry birds on it? It gives me a headache.

Peach

Well "You just need to upgrade your phone" is not viable, as a response either.

See these stats on just my phone line alone-
As of December 10, 2010 more than 2 million units have been sold worldwide, with 1.3 million units sold in North America, 450,000 units sold in South Korea, 200,000 units sold in Europe and 50,000 units sold in Asia and the CIS.

Now in the US the majority of the phones are on 2 year contracts. The majority of users don't change phones because a new one comes out they wait their 2 years and upgrade with a new phone for 2 more years. The model I use was released October 31, 2010. These phones are going to be in use until at least October 31, 2012 when contracts start to expire. This is just LG.

I saw that list now of ARM7 processor, LG Optimus 2X released February 2011, LG Optimus Black (P970), LG Optimus Z was November-December and is part of the stats. Now I know a bit about phones and I had no idea on the processor and the majority of potential game buyers won't either.

Now when you release a game, you can't put "get a new phone" for the first line of description and I think this is missing out on millions of phone users.

My phone plays angry birds just fine, I have all three on it, but what else do you have running on it, may not be just the phone?

I don't see how it can be so cut and dry, this is the cut off and that's it.

Dan

@Dan,
I share your pain, first I had gotten myself a 7" tablet that ran 2.1 and it had issues (not with corona, but the responsiveness, etc of the device itself) and mostly coz it was 2.1 I wanted the latter 2.2 as I did not want to invest in something that would not be supported.

So I got a cheap 2.2 device, similar to what Peach picked up, it was nice, small and compact, as a device on its own, it manages to do quite a handful of things.

Ansca decided that supporting earlier devices was painful and slowed them down in many ways, so they went with the policy of supporting only ARMv7 devices.

In general I have found that Android devices are a bit slow and there are lots of headaches when running/testing an app on them. So having a better processor is always helpful. Now, the painful part is that I could go for a Honeycomb Acer tablet for around $600 but then why should I not go for an iPad2 instead?

Android devices are *Cheap* (quality) but Expensive(price) and it is not easy upgrading them. Wish we all had money like @NinjaPig123 to upgrade our devices.

In my opinion I found that it is OK to deffer the Android publication of apps for the moment and focus on the iOS based apps using CoronaSDK. In the mean time, there should be some developments and hopefully the Android version would be much more stable and responsive than the current version.

cheers,

?:)

@Dan ... Rovio has ~55 employees and its my understanding they write their apps (mobile and desktop alike) natively for whatever platform they want. They're not using a make-it-easy-language, like Corona SDK.

Certainly, if you have those types of staffing resources and funding, like Rovio, and you're looking to get that "niche" with your device support, then go native. I also read somewhere they had to test Angry Birds on some 100+ different devices. Boy that's a lot of overhead.

If you don't have such resources, then IMHO as a 6 month+ user of Corona, I say Corona is the way to go. iOS just announced it's 200,000,000'th device activation, I believe ... along with that and growth of Android in the ARMv7 area, pre-ARMv7 devices round out of the entire equation, IMHO.

Best wishes,
~~Kenn

Corona seems the easiest with a lot resources. I'll have to think of something else to make that can use the simulator. Need a device that does nothing but test.

Dan

views:1806 update:2011/10/8 8:54:25
corona forums © 2003-2011