iOS App Approval - Rejected on Guideline 11.1 - Using Facebook Like to Unlock Content

Hopefully this is the right place, but wanted some advice. Submitted for first app to Apple this week (yay!), but it got rejected (boo). They cited guideline 11.1:

11.1: Apps that unlock or enable additional features or functionality with mechanisms other than the App Store will be rejected

We found your app inappropriately unlocks or enables additional functionality with mechanisms other than the App Store, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, this app allows the user to unlock additional content by liking the app on Facebook and receiving a code to enter in the app.

So, I basically have a facebook button on my app, and when users click on it and "like" me, I unlock some levels.

Is that not allowed anymore? Is there a more "accepted" way of handling facebook interactions to unlock content? And how about promo codes for reviewers that unlocks IAP? Is there a way to do that in which Apple will still accept it and not run afoul of this 11.1 guideline?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Thy

It sounds like its definitely against their terms, but whether it's new or not is largely irrelevant as it pretty much depends on who is assigned to review your app.

There's been plenty of cases where one app gets away with something while another doesn't. To play it safe, I'd just adhere to the guidelines because I'd be nervous if it got approved for fear they might remove it later on after some kind of "audit" or something similar.

I'm sure you could give Promo codes away in that manner, but not within the app, and you're only allowed 50 so I wouldn't recommend that.

Previously, I had gotten away with unlocking a new ability if they shared their score on Facebook, but it only lasted for that round. Based on what you got rejected for though, that seems like it shoulda been out of bounds also.

I'm curious how this specific wording...

11.1: Apps that unlock or enable additional features or functionality >>>>>with mechanisms other than the App Store<<<<< will be rejected

...applies to big name membership apps like Instapaper, Simplenote or Dropbox. They definitely have a parallel system "other than the App Store".

Yes - Instapaper and Simplenote have an in-app purchase (can't remember for Dropbox), but they don't fit the "other than the App Store" wording.

Looking forward to hearing other's experience, if they can shed light on this. Thank you.

- Ian

views:1867 update:2011/10/29 17:13:10
corona forums © 2003-2011