Who's responsibility is it?

There was one developer (I cannot recollect the name) that just compiled the sample apps and put them up for sale. Actions like these had a lot of users discussing if this behaviour was acceptable. Since sample code released by Ansca is under the MIT license, it is all a free for all do what you like. Then Halfbrick studios came in and demanded that the sample code be taken off GitHub.

The sample provided by Ansca was a lot of work, the graphics were created by Ansca, the Code was written by Ansca to have a similar look and feel. Jon B had the Ghost vs Monsters sample code, one of the best samples available from Ansca, (I almost show it at every workshop, meeting that I conduct/speak at) That is what we can say is *Inspired* from Angry Birds, but the graphics etc are totally different.

What would you say when developers copy the whole thing, graphics et al. Where does the line of creativity stop and become Unethical copying? Who should be responsible for stopping this?
* The company owning the product
* Ansca Mobile as the app is build using CoronaSDK
* The ethics of that Company, yes Company, not a solo developer

BTW here are more details to that here

cheers,

?:)

Ripping games is s time honored tradition in the arcade and video game business. Back in the day, I hand machine coded Atari 2600 video games for Atari. Other companies would rip the game concepts and call it something different. Breakout ripped as BrickBreaker, or Asteroids ripped as SpaceRocks. In all these cases, the rip was a conceptional rip and not based on original source code or copied graphics. We had an in house legal team who reviewed rips to ensure no trademarks, copyrights or patients were violated. Most of them passed muster - Maddening, but barely legal.

The templates and samples provided by Ansca and others are very helpful, but woefully inadequate to publish as a complete product.

Sample code and Templates are for learning:
The Air Hockey 2 template does not support basic capability like touching elsewhere to reposition a paddle, save state in case the game is interrupted by a phone call, and the physics settings are all wrong for supporting highly responsive paddles. The proportions of the paddles and especially the puck is completely wrong to make it a fun game.

I'm not being critical of the Air Hockey 2 template, it's awesome for what it is - just pointing out it falls far short of a "commercial" offering.

One way to stop the publishing of the templates "as-is", would be to copyright the graphics and leave the code licensed with the MIT license terms.

Some people just have poor taste to do what Jayant describes.

Just my $.02 worth,

-David

Halfbrick demanding compiled apps be taken off the app store or other markets due to copyright infringement is understandable. Demanding the removal Ansca's sample code from github is ridiculous. It's akin to Disney forcing pre-schools to remove murals of Disney characters due to copyright infringement (which they have done many times).

On the other hand, I read my twitter feed and i see Ansca promoting the fact that Cut The Birds is the #2 Free App on the app store. WTF? Maybe Halfbrick's approach is the only approach.

I personally believe sample code should only be used to learn with. Or used as part of your game, not the be all and end all of it

agree with Danny
I have looked at maybe one game tutorial and a handful of sample code but never copy I use it just for guidance which is what it was meant for.

views:1460 update:2011/10/30 22:40:54
corona forums © 2003-2011