Corona in the classroom

I teach at a college in San Francisco and we're thinking of using corona. Can anyone give me an idea of corona works in the classroom?

I'm wondering about the subscription how many subscriptions would I need for a class of 20 students? Is testing in the simulator good for the classroom?

How much hassle is it get students to build their apps and load them onto a real device? What kind of subscription would we need for this?

Thanks

The educational discount page is here: http://developer.anscamobile.com/forms/educators-and-students

It might be possible to have the student's use the trail version for classwork, and have one purchased version to make a device targeted app if needed. Technically the school needs one purchased version of Corona and an Apple or Android dev license from Apple or Amazon to publish a school app. Students can also buy individual licenses from Corona and Apple if they want to take their work further.

Our local high school is investigating this approach.

-David

Thanks for the reply. We have an Apple Developer license.

The Apple certificates and provisioning system is not easy to work with. I'm just wondering:

1. What type of Corona install it would take to be able to build apps in the classroom where students can test their work. Can we get by with the trial version or a single subscription?
  2. And, what type of subscription we would need for students to build apps to test on real devices. We probably need at least one subscription.

I'm guessing the instructor would have to setup a provisioning file for each device that might be tested with.

The Corona trial version and an Apple Dev certificate is all you need to compile and deploy apps on iOS test devices for a classroom. A purchased Corona license will not have the trial version pop-up message that occurs when you run the app on an iOS device, and you can submit to the Apple AppStore for sale.

For a classroom environment, all you need the the trial version of Corona and an Apple certificate. That will allow students to make as many Corona apps as they like, and build Corona apps for up to 100 different iOS test devices with the basic Apple Dev license. You get a Dev certificate from Apple and can create an unlimited number of apps for a max of 100 devices. Each target device certificate is good for several weeks, but can be refreshed. You can also leverage the Beta test licensing process for app distribution, but only for a limited time period before the app certificate expires. This is designed to prevent developers circumventing the App store.

Hope that helps,

-David

views:1299 update:2011/10/30 22:40:54
corona forums © 2003-2011