Touch and memory bug?

Hello guys.

I am not sure if this is a bug or just me but I am kind of worry.

Using the GREAT code from Don-Duong Quach (the Corona profiler) I can see that the Lua memory (I modified the code to show lua memory rather than the texture memory) goes up dramatically as soon as I touch the screen and my mouse around on the screen (on the simulator) I can see the same on the actual device (Ipod touch 3rd Gen, Iphone 4 and Ipad 2)

For instance the graph show a nice and steady 300k but as soon I move my finger around the screen the memory jump out to around 500k. It will not bother me if the problem did not seems to also drop the frame rate as well. One the simulator the FPS goes from 64 to 59. One the game itself it seems to make the game slower. I will think that touching the screen should not make such a difference.

http://s7.postimage.org/fo3tmfp0r/touch_Test.jpg

Anybody has an idea or having the same issue? My game is a process heavy and I cannot afford any more drop of frames..

THANKS!

Mo

ps: another piece of the puzzle. I can see that the lua memory goes up and down during the game (sawthoot...i guess the GC in action) shape but when I touch the screen the graph, the period is much shorter.

@lemsim,

it will depend entirely on what you are doing with your code. Now it would be difficult for anyone to determine what you are doing by looking at the CPU graph or the memory Usage Graph. If that was an indicator, then we would not require any debuggers, would we.

cheers,

?:)

Yes I imagine it is hard to figure out what is happening only from the graph. I am going to make a super simple app with nothing but the profiler running and see. My feeling is that it would show the same result. If I get the same result then I am not sure why just moving your finger on the screen would make the system uses some much more lua memory and also drop the FPS so much? In my game I have a virtual joystick but even on a menu screen, I can see the drop of fps and an increase of memory useage. In my game screen I definitely see my game slow down when moving my finger on the screen even if I do not touch the on screen joystick?

Did you see anything like that before?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Mo

views:1664 update:2011/11/8 8:33:25
corona forums © 2003-2011