ex-GS users switching to CORONA

hey all thought id start a thread for us ex-GS users who want to see who all made the switch or thinking about it. Hope to see alot of the friends i made over at GS here to continue our journey deeper into iOS programming with CORONA

I'm in :)

// red.

great looking forward to learning with you
come on exGS users lets light up this board like we use to at gs

I'm here

I knew you would be here orbz looking forward to some sick demos from you

Great to see you here ORBZ.. I'm looking forward to hopefully contributing a lot of code myself, so hopefully we can create some great resources,,

Have you seen the examples? JOINTS!! :D

// red.

Welcome everyone, I switched from GameSalad months ago and never looked back :-)

Edit: well, I did yesterday and it wasn't a pretty sight! lol

Bien benidos !

Welcome !

Bon Jour !

:-)

Carlos

Hey I'm here too, hello fellow ex GS users, I believe we will see a slow exodus from GS to Corona.

Good Luck everyone, I just hope the software is easier to use than the Register form here, very buggy in Safari 5.

JCFord

welcome jcford have u started working on anything yet
my first project will be a remake of my identity scene found here
http://gamesalad.com/game/play/84765

I'm working on a menu scene at the moment, loading the scene, registering events etc.. It's fun learning :)

// red.

wish i was learning right now still stuck on pc

Dude you don't understand! You can learn while on your pc! All you really do is write code, and you only need a mac to use the simulate and publish etc. You're best off reading through the tutorials, and checking out the API documentation. I will be writing code on a PC when I can't get to my mac :)

I'm hoping I'll be able to provide as many code examples as possible.

// red.

yeah thats what i meant been reading all day but still not the same as hands on and being able to test
havent checked into it yet just starting to look at the api's but can you change the color of the screen from black to white with just color commands or do i need to make a white background image and load it

No...you need to vector draw a white rectangle the size of the screen at screen center and insert it in your "background" group.

Another ex-GS user:)

welcome dhondon
thanks syn you say vector why, smaller file size,works better with corona, or just your opinion

Just not necessary to deal with a graphic asset than a rectangle. Plus I believe the rectangle is more efficient than an image.
If all you want is solid colors...use rectangles.

I'm learning here too...but seems to me use that you should always use the most efficient and simplest way possible...as those savings add up in the end.
Both options will work...but seems the rectangle is an easier solution...as its all code and no asset to deal with.

display.setStatusBar(display.HiddenStatusBar)

bg1=display.newRect(0,0,display.contentWidth,display.contentHeight)
bg1:setFillColor(255,255,255)

bg2=display.newRoundedRect(0,0,display.contentWidth,display.contentHeight,90)
bg2:setFillColor(255,22,150)

local function onTap(event)
        if "began" == event.phase then
                bg2.alpha=0.5
        elseif  "ended" == event.phase then
                        bg2.alpha=1
        end
end
bg2:addEventListener("touch", onTap) 

There you go!!!

Thanks
As soon as I saw rect it hit me so simple but
Changed my mind i think white on black will
be better than black on white but good to know

Hey guys.
It's a little strange not seeing the familiar avatars alongside the familiar names. ;)
I'm interested to see who else crosses over from the GS forums this week. There is/was such a great community over there; it would be nice if we could grow it anew here.

Hey maniraptor yeah avatars would be great

Hello all! I switched over too. See ya later GameSalad!!!! (insert anti-vegetarian joke or reference)

Hello dknell looking forward to learning with you and all the other new corona devs here

Hello everybody.
Nice to see you all.
Hey jstrahan after all the search for the joystick answer and after we find it, now we are not going to use it... lol

@LT Lmao I thought about that yesterday
Glad to see you here

Yet another GS user here!

GS will still be a great option for me to build concepts and prototypes and then code them in Corona. It really is an easy way to test the functionality of a game and also a nice way to determine coordinates (arrange actors on the scene and then double click them to get their coordinates).

Learning is great so far! Anyone have any really useful links/demos/samples they have found after recently starting and would like to share?

welcome
im just starting to learn also but waiting on my trial extension so i can get some hands on

Awesome I feel right at home knowing that there are some GS vets here!

Learning is great! I love the fact that I am actually coding again! Its just like my days with C.

If anyone has a good jumping example that would be much appreciated!

Also someone made a director class that would be very useful if I could figure it out.

Lets show what Corona really can do! No GS limits!

-Gamexcb

LOL, what a topic full of energy and hype here. Looks like ya all are flying sky high atm. Anyway, welcome and let me know when reality kicks in and how you feel then. ;-)

Michael Hartlef

http://www.whiteskygames.com
http://www.twitter.com/mhartlef

Mike, you love us ! admit it ! I know you do. I feel it in the air....

;-)

All, if you have questions, suggestions, amplifications, email me at cicaza @ anscamobile.com or to support@anscamobile.com (broader audience inside of ansca )

Carlos

Really enjoying what I've messed around with so far. Got 2 or 3 projects that I'm already planning :)

// red.

Carlos,

I love you guys. You are awesome... you are the best. I don't know anyone who works faster and better than you guys. Can I marry you? LOL Wait, have to talk to my wife first. :-)

Michael

http://www.whiteskygames.com
http://www.twitter.com/mhartlef

My wife said I could but only on weekends lol

I've not downloaded the Corona app yet still digesting all the info on the site, but the more I read, the more comfortable I'm starting to feel.

I'm another ex-GameSalad user who just joined the ranks. Nice to see you ORBZ and JCFord and all the rest!

Yes, there is "excitement in the air". Excitement at what Corona can do... and for some (myself included) a sense of relief at finally abandoning GameSalad and moving on to greener pastures.

1. ~user > Applications > GameSalad > "Move to Trash"
  2. ~user > Trash > "Empty Trash"

Whew! That sure was easy! Much easier than wrestling with even the most basic object-interaction routine in GameSalad. :)

Brent
Ignis Design LLC

I'm picturing the Gendai people getting a swift beating from their investors right now! Man, they must be frantic with everyone leaving.

lol

@IgnisDesign ha ha love the Trash thing!

Hello everybody I will start reading today... Corona, get ready for the question avalanche...

bring it on LT oh wait im too new here dont know enough yet but working on it

dknell:
I'm picturing the Gendai people getting a swift beating from their investors right now! Man, they must be frantic with everyone leaving.

I imagine the Gendai crew watching in horror as the forums burned, like Stan & friends on South Park: "Hey! Those VCs killed Kenny, I mean, GameSalad. YOU BASTARDS!"

Those poor guys. Taking venture capital money ends in tears for most companies, even for those who benefit from it to survive in the long term. At least we have options to which we can migrate with moderate ease; they're stuck in that situation, at least for the foreseeable future.

At the moment I'm trying to set up the director class with my project. It's always *fun* when something doesn't work first time! :)

// red.

Hey everyone its my third day! Corona is great! I'll be posting a D-pad demo for basic control. It May also feature an action button. This was my first hurdle I have found the solution! If anyone has any questions please ask.

Ansca please don't kill yourself. :)
I love you too much!

-Gamexcb

Haha! "Fun" Right... Actually I love a challenge! If you get it running please post a DETAILED example!
-Gamexcb

Was just about to post how close I was until BAM, figured it out :).. was just working out about adding objects to a group, and when to add certain objects to said groups..

Got it working VERY nicely now! :D

// red.

That's great gamexcb can't wait
Good to hear red
Y'all keep going, I'm feeling so far behind I finally get to start tonite

You'll soon have caught up don't worry ;)

At the moment I'm working on an app for a client, so I haven't started on game development yet unfortunately :/

I'm getting a solid menu system down, and seeing as we are now able to re-use code, I'll be able to use this in all my future projects, just skinned differently. I am LOVING this!

I've also got all Res Independent stuff sorted, here is a good read about that: http://ideveloper.kodingen.com/2010/retina-display-setup-in-3-easy-steps/

// red.

Yeah that's kinda my plan my first thing on my list is to get my identity scene up and going and make it so I can just add it to each new app
Thinks for the link

Hey guys I am lost... I don't know how to start... I was reading the start here first page and it was all in numeric Chinese. Are there instructions made in stupid language? or maybe I should start with examples first?

views:2035 update:2011/9/20 13:12:00
corona forums © 2003-2011