Facebook image upload broken on live app

Ok strange issue going on now driving me mad. The Facebook image post is not working now the App is live. Development builds all ok post to gallery great.

The app has gone live, and now when image attempt made to facebook the FB App launchs, asks for permission but then does not switch back to my App to succeed the upload so the app is left hanging....

APP ID, Bundle ID correct as would not working in dev mode... AGGHHHH

Any ideas? this is an urgent one i need to fix due to the issue being on a live App

I'm having this same problem.

It worked fine all through testing, but now it looks like it's redirecting to the mobile version of Facebook's site and that has broken it. It just went live yesterday morning, so between this and the stupid "app is being modified" error (that is Apple's fault) I'm looking like amateur hour over here. :(

Anyone else having this problem and/or have a solution?

cannot believe that it worked well in the testing and then KAPUTZ!!

Now cannot say that it was Ansca's fault on this one, but then they are the ones that keep messing with things and have absolutely no documentation till after to explain how things work.

All in all, if a live app breaks due to using Corona, I do not think that is a good sign....

I would actually be quicker to put the blame on Facebook (a multi-billion dollar company!) because they constantly change their APIs with little notice or rhyme or reason. That's the main reason I switched to iOS/Android development with Corona.

I'm gonna have to bump this one up, because it's still broken and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I'm using the very basic Facebook code that *used to* pop up a little window over the game and ask the person to log in (if they weren't already) OR if they ARE logged in it would briefly pop up then go away and post just fine.

Now it is opening up Safari, showing a screen that says you are logging into the app as [YOUR NAME] with an "okay" button. If you click the "okay" button, it says "Safari cannot open this page" and fails.

ALL of this was working just fine last week, before the game went live and now that it's live, it does not work. Is anybody else experiencing this? Can someone try downloading the free version of my game and posting to Facebook? You can delete or make the post private on your FB page, I'm not looking for free advertising here, I'm trying to figure out this problem.

Here's the link to the free version of my game: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-traveller-lite/id496329483?ls=1&mt=8

Any help or info would be appreciated - thanks!

@randyosborn,

I`ve done it.

I got a workaround to be able to download your LITE version.

So, here is my finds and thoughts about it:

1) The game is working nicely in my iPhone 4

2) The graphics resolution would be better (looks like not Retina Optimized)

3) The sounds are nice. (it does remind me my Rio de Janeiro and its beaches)

4) Loved the pseudo-popups you have used (as when we click on options)

5) Facebook - after click on its icon into your app, it did send me to safari and asked me to login into my account. OK. After login it did send me to you FACEBOOK PAGES and so I was only able to click on LIKE button of your FB page or navigate through your page and nothing else. Nothing about post to facebook. At least not for me.

These are what I saw with your app.

BTW - Congrats on this. The app look very "clever" done. The navigation is nice also and the best was the mini-keyboard you got under the screen for you to type the words. Really precise and well done.

PS: If you would not mind sharing with me some sample code about thats pop-ups, I would be very glad of. BTW if you do not want to share, that`s OK too.

Cheers,
Rodrigo.

@randyosborn, it's a bit worrisome. I'm wondering if you generate a new AdHoc build (with the same exact code you used to generate the release build) and test it on device, does it manifest no issue? Then, it could be the Corona issue. But if the newly built AdHoc version shows exactly the same issue, then it could be that something has changed on the Facebook side?

So... the question is, does this issue only appear with the release build using distribution certificate? And, what Corona daily build are you using?

Naomi

Our Valentine's app which are on the store now are still able to post images to Facebook -

Valentine's Hearts - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/valentines-hearts/id413970396?mt=8
and
Emo Hearts - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/emo-hearts/id415160265?mt=8

So perhaps it is a build issue and not a Facebook change. These were built with 715.

@a3mg & Naomi - I'm using Build 731, so you have a good point, this could be a build issue. I tried an AdHoc version with this same code and it was still broken, but I still used Build 731... I guess now I'll try reverting to an earlier version (like 715) and see if it works then.

I'll report back here - thanks!

Rodrigo - thanks for your feedback! I'm more than happy to share that code with you, it's not very complicated at all, just takes a little patience with the layout. :)

You are correct about the game not being Retina optimized - it was my first got at Corona and I wanted to keep it simple. The next one I will do multi-res.

The FB button you are talking about just points to my Facebook Page for Word Traveller and yes, that one works as planned. The Facebook posting that currently does *not* work is at the end of a game, you can post your score to your FB wall. That one is currently busted.

Thanks again for taking the time check it out and thanks for the FB Like!

UPDATE
Looks like this is a Daily Build problem. I tried an older version that I had in TestFlight and it works fine. I remember that I upgraded to a more recent build, so I could start on Kindle Fire development before I submitted the final build. Stupid of me not to test it one last time...

I'm reverting to an older build now and will post back here and post up a bug report if indeed this is the problem.

UPDATE
Well, now I'm thoroughly confused. I guess it's NOT a daily build issue, because I tried the last stable build as well and I'm *still* getting this weirdness with FB opening in Safari and *not* in a popup like it used to.

I even tested this super-simple version below and THAT doesn't work for me either! This is essentially the code from the tutorial and it USED TO work for me, but suddenly it doesn't.

Here's the code, but it's really no different than the simple FB tutorial. Any thoughts?

local ui = require("ui")
local facebook = require("facebook")
local json = require("json")
local tableView = require("tableView")

local localGroup = display.newGroup()

--------------------------------------------------------------------
local fbButton = display.newImage ("fbButton184.png")
fbButton.x = 160
fbButton.y = 200
localGroup:insert(fbButton)

local fbButton_logout = display.newImage ("fbButton184.png")
fbButton_logout.x = 160
fbButton_logout.y = 400
localGroup:insert(fbButton_logout)
-- The above are login and logout buttons.
------------------------------------------------------------------
-- FACEBOOK --
------------------------------------------------------------------
local function printTable( t, label, level )
if label then print( label ) end
level = level or 1
if t then
for k,v in pairs( t ) do
local prefix = ""
for i=1,level do
prefix = prefix .. "\t"
end

print( prefix .. "[" .. tostring(k) .. "] = " .. tostring(v) )
if type( v ) == "table" then
print( prefix .. "{" )
printTable( v, nil, level + 1 )
print( prefix .. "}" )
end
end
end
end

----------------------------------------------------------------

local callFacebook = function()
local facebookListener = function( event )
if ( "session" == event.type ) then
if ( "login" == event.phase ) then

local theMessage = "Check it out! I'm playing Word Traveller and just scored 123,000 points on 4-LETTER WORDS!"

facebook.request( "me/feed", "POST", {
message=theMessage,
name="Try WORD TRAVELLER now, for FREE!",
caption="If you love word games like Scrabble, crosswords, anagrams or the game show Lingo, you’ll love Word Traveller. Figure out the secret words to complete each round and play for trophies and high scores.",
link="http://www.slice.net/",
picture="http://slice.kodingen.com/WT_Logo_FB_wall.png",
actions = json.encode( { { name = "Word Traveller", link = "http://www.slice.net" } } )
} )
end
end
end
-- Naturally you will want to put your own info above

facebook.login( "123456789", facebookListener, { "publish_stream" } )
end
-- the above should be your Facebook app ID

local function callFB (event)
if event.phase == "ended" then
callFacebook()
end
end
local function callFBlogout (event)
if event.phase == "ended" then
facebook.logout()
end
end
fbButton:addEventListener("touch", callFB)
fbButton_logout:addEventListener("touch", callFBlogout)

Hey @randyosborne - as I said before, you`re welcome and am glad to help you. .)

PS: If you do not mind for sure getting me the sample code about those styled pop-ups you`ve got in your app, THANKS! Those will help me out to do something similar but sure concerning my app style as well.

You can contact me and send the file always at: rodrigo [@] rscdev [.] net

Cheers,
Rodrigo.

PS2: Ahh, I cannot forget to say you that the starting "mini-tutorial" you have done is totally awesome and ESSENTIAL! That gave "value" for your game even it not being Retina display compatible. :)

Just my last .2c! .)

Probably wont work with latest stable build (704 right?). The features were introduced in 707 and updated in 712. Try using a build like 715 and see if that works.

@a3mg - Yeah, I tried 715 and the latest daily build and still, no pop-up and broken functionality.

@Rodrigo - I'll get some code off to you today, or this weekend at the very latest!

If anyone has a spare couple of minutes to confirm or deny that the exact code from this tutorial (http://techority.com/2011/03/08/add-facebook-posting-to-your-corona-iphone-app/) works for them with the latest daily build (or ANY build) that would be much appreciated.

Until then I guess I'll just keep poking around...

views:2604 update:2012/2/12 11:34:30
corona forums © 2003-2011