Corona versus Monkey

Looks like Corona is getting some more competition. Monkey (http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/) is now out, but it's still "bleeding edge" stuff still (hasn't been out long enough to be a mature product yet). However this is being driven by the guy that did BlitzBasic, Blitz3D, BlitzMax which are mature, stable products with a large user base. So it could give Corona some stiff competition down the road. I see competition as a good thing, as it help drive companies to make better products, which ultimately will be good for Corona and good for us Corona users.

Don't know if anyone has looked at it, but I'd like to hear some healthy discussion about pros and cons of each. Right now I think Corona still has the edge on Monkey (but again it's just fresh out now, and Corona's had more time to mature).

Here's a few things I can see right off the top.

- Monkey supports more target platforms (iOS, Android, Flash, HTML5, Mac, Linux, Windows, & XNA). While this seems better, it might be a disadvantage unless there are target specific APIs available, otherwise you get something with the least common denominator and end up with sub par apps on all platforms.

- There seems to be no hardware support in Monkey yet for accelerometer, camera, GPS, compass, etc. (Since these aren't available on Mac, Windows, Linux, Flash, etc, that might be why)

- Physics is not built into Monkey, so add on modules would be needed for that.

I'm sure there's a lot more to be discussed. Thoughts guys?

Competition is always a good thing.

It keeps everyones on their toes and focused.

Carlos

I'm sure there's a lot more to be discussed. Thoughts guys?

Edit:

Hi,

I was/am on the beta test team of Monkey and use it extensively now. If you want to talk about Monkey and its (dis)advantages, come to my forum and we can talk there. Also watch my site as I will add Monkey related content to it soon.

http://forum.whiteskygames.com

Cheers
Michael Hartlef

http://www.whiteskygames.com
http://www.twitter.com/mhartlef

Closing Forum Thread Closing Forum Thread

Alarm going off

Carlos scrambling to close thread.... click click tap tap click click

Not going to happen. Just keep it clean and no name bashing and don't let it get out of hands.

Specially don't bash my name.

;-)

C

Jeez Carlos, I was totally neutral in my Post. Well, I edited it. Hope you are happy. :-/

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Mike, I was being "factitious"...

My bad. I was trying to be "monty pythonesque"... but it didn't come across right..

:-(

C

Ahhhh, poor Mike :(

Carlos, you should know by now that your sense of humor, while brilliant, is not always appreciated in text. (I lol'd, though.)

Personally, I glanced at Monkey, downloaded it, then trashed it. I don't like it. I'm sure it's good, I like the name - but it's no Corona.

At the end of the day, indeed, competition is healthy, etc. etc. but it has a long, LONG way to go before it can actually compete with Corona on any level from what I've seen/read. (Not trying to be harsh, it's just how I see it.)

Anyway, Carlos is a stupid name.*

Peach :)

*Just kidding.**

**Mostly, it's not a stupid name, but it infuriates me at times - I never know if I am saying it right or not. "Car-loss", "Car-low-ssssss" or, in the case of there being a frustrating issue I need help with, "CARLOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS".

PS - SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

PPS - SSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

PPPS - ssssss.

Good day!

I was a major user of Blitz3D up until a couple years ago. Technically I still use Blitz products given that I made a little tool in BlitzMax a few months ago (BlitzMax is still the easiest way I know of to make desktop applications) but that barely counts. I love Blitz products, and I definitely wouldn't be where I am as a programmer if I hadn't discovered Blitz3D way back when.

That said, I've moved on. Maybe I'll return to Blitz products in the future, but Monkey is obviously nowhere near Corona for iPhone development or Flash for web development.

Meanwhile, programming in Lua is awesome. Programming in Blitz3D was super easy and thus great for me when I was starting out, but Lua is a better programming language. Nevermind the specific features Monkey still lacks (physics, accelerometer, etc.) but what about the programming language? How does Monkey stack up with Lua as a language?

When I initially checked out the site I got this message:

"ERROR:Sorry, the search feature is available to registered users only."

So, to search their forum you need to pay $120 USD and I found that kind of irritating. They should take that out. Too much of a money grab. Ofcourse if you don't want to pay the monkey, you can just do a google site search.

Either way, like Carlos said, competition is good. It keeps things fresh and alive.

See what happens in the next few months.

...sip...

[sidenote]
It seems I can't get away from all monkey and monkey related subjects this month...lol...I think it all started with PeachPellen's 48 hour game challenge. Yeah...that's it...yeah...
[/sidenote]

oh yeah, and as for me, I did get Carlos' humor.

That's a good thing...right???

;) <---I better add one of these just in case.

features Monkey still lacks (physics, accelerometer, etc.) but what about the programming language?

WRONG! Accelerometer was/is there from the beginning and code for verlet physics is also already available. A Chipmunck physics module is being worked on and a box2D module will be following shortly I think. All that by the community and in just a few days after its release. Non of these people were on the beta test team. Also someone already got the first UI stuff working. Imho that was and still is one of the greatest things about BlitzMax's and now Monkey's community. They extend the language so much because they are able too. The language is open.

About not being able to post there as a demo/html user... Well, it is like that for ages with Blitz Research. Did it do them harm? I don't think so.

How does Monkey stack up with Lua as a language?

Mmmh, what do you want to know? It is very close to BlitzMax, still a typed language. but case sensitive like Lua is. Has classes and objects, has lists, maps, and stacks. The you can bind external target code and call it from with Monkey. Ahh, and the Strict mode is there too. Pretty powerfull language I think.

@MikeHart,

re:"About not being able to post there as a demo/html user... Well, it is like that for ages with Blitz Research. Did it do them harm? I don't think so."

If you are referring to my post, I am fine that guests are not allowed to post without paying. I understand why they would to that. The reality is that it is now become more common as forums can become a stomping ground for trolls, spammers and cherry pickers.

What I was referring to was the use of a basic forum search function, anyone should be allowed to search. At this time, they've locked that out to paid members only. In this scenario, to *me* that's not a good thing.

...sip...

"That said, I've moved on. Maybe I'll return to Blitz products in the future, but Monkey is obviously nowhere near Corona for iPhone development or Flash for web development."

I feel this is the problem with multiplatform engines, they're jack of all trades and do nothing really outstanding. It's never gonna be as good as a completely focused engine.

At this point in time they only thing that could get me to ditch Corona would be a similarly easy, but better iOS engine. While multiplatform might be cool in the future, as of right now the only market that matters for me is iOS.

Though the fact that the language is open and users can add their own modules seems to be a huge advantage over Corona.

@carlos

Good post on the money graph. That is what typifies what being 1st in the market can mean having it all (well at least most of it). As such, Apple has and continues to dominate.

@Everyone

The Corona vs. Monkey goes something like this for *me*. Use the right tool for the job and what you understand is the best to use based on the problem you're trying to solve.

Talk about Corona in the GameSalad forums, and you'll understand Carlos' joke :-)

The only reason I would look at Monkey is to be able to create for WP7, Silverlight and Visual Studio just suck...

...and I hope that Monkey runs on Macs...

?:)

@jayantv: I love Visual Studio! :P
The only downsides are that it's quite slow at times, and that it's only for Windows.

Fear not Android developers. Despite the noise made here by Carlos and reposting of other stats, the Android is possible to make money and is growing and an unstoppable rate. It will only get better.

And to provide a little inspiration for those feeling a little disheartened by Carlos's comments. Pocket Legends makers have recently clearly stated that they make more money from Android... (30 - 50% More) than they do from iOS. There is a BIG catch though for corona users.... Sort of.

The money for Android Pocket Legends comes from in app purchases. It is not a google thing, but something else.. Can't say I have looked into what they use.

Anyway, hope that helps lift the spirits of Android devs. Don't write it off, it is just getting started.

Ben, Traffic Junction is one of the largest publisher/affiliate businesses today. A Google Adwords Qualified Company & trend-setter in pay-for-performance marketing solutions, we use our proprietary cutting-edge technology and creative online marketing programs to deliver qualified customers to many of the world’s top brands.

You can't say what it is? BIG Catch for Corona Users? Sort of?

Troll? Spamming our forums?

C.

Geez Carlos.. Steady on.. Yes the company I work for does what you mention. It is nothing to do with me though nor do I wish to understand what they do. That's not my thing. I saw no need in hiding my email address. Are you saying I should have made a fake one? I hope not.

I evaluated Corona and convinced the Directors that it was the way to go for our Newly created Games development division. And I stand by that evaluation.

I don't even understand how the hell you got "troll" from what I said. All I did was highlight the fact that at least one developer out there is making more off Android than off iOS. Rare as it may be currently, it does show that it is possible. It would be too easy for people reading all the negative comments on here about Android to just write it off and not bother. Clearly that is not necessary and I'm sure that is not your thinking in any case, as you are still pressing ahead with Android development and all that is lacking currently will be fixed over time I know.

As for the "BIG Catch for Corona Users? Sort of?"... Sorry if that was not clear.. Of course it wasn't on having it pointed out, though it was not intentional.. My meaning for the comment was simply that the company mentioned was making their Android money from in app purchases, which as I understand it, is not happening just yet in corona? Am I wrong? I know it's coming

BTW.. Nice baiting C. You made me clear it up. Fair enough it's your forum.

Ben

Glad we cleared that one up.

Welcome to the forums ;-)

Our volume of spam has gone dramatically up so I hope you understand that as well.

No harm. Glad we are on same footing now.

C

Yep, I can imagine and amazing jump in spam about now. Guess you'll have to take that as a sign of popularity and be happy. Mind you, these forums seem to have remained very clean. Good stuff. Great community happening here.

Same forward footing. Mind you, my account stopped building after that last post.. I was sure it was you C.. lol. ;-)

Ben

views:2247 update:2011/9/20 17:36:54
corona forums © 2003-2011