Just Bought CPM

Hey J, Whyte :)

Have to say I am very impressed with CPM. Here are my suggestions that I would like to see added to further improve the experience.

1) Auto-update/update from menu. Would be really nice.

2) Built in code editor. I use smultron but it would be so nice to keep my corona development in 1 single window. I have it down to 2 now with cpm but would love it to be reduced to a single window.

3) Stop CPM taking layer focus. I.e when you click "Launch" the simulator appears behind the CPM window, it should appear in front. This would save the user an extra click.

4) Write config/build settings file to file. When editing I clicked ok, but had to manually input the code via the clipboard after. Being able to overwrite your current build/config files after making changes would be fantastic (if this feature is already and place)

Sorry if these seem picky, I just saw that you said if anyone has any suggestions to post them up, these were a few I had so I figured I would share.

Thanks and keep up the good work :)

EDIT :

5) Ability to use the new auto launch on code change feature

1) Auto-update/update from menu. Would be really nice.

Yeah, I anticipate that to be in v1.5 -- possibly 1.4, but you should only have to manually upgrade twice more. :)

2) Built in code editor. I use smultron but it would be so nice to keep my corona development in 1 single window. I have it down to 2 now with cpm but would love it to be reduced to a single window.

Not in v1.4, but quite possible for v1.5. It will be an option so people who are in love with TextMate, BBEdit, etc.l, won't have to use it. Honestly, I hesitate to add an editor simply because it will be compared to those editors -- and it will fall short because it's not a 100% dedicated editor. But, it will have syntax highlighting and (I'm pretty sure) auto-complete, so it should be a good "basic" editor for people who don't already have a favorite.

3) Stop CPM taking layer focus. I.e when you click "Launch" the simulator appears behind the CPM window, it should appear in front. This would save the user an extra click.

As of v1.2 that should have been fixed. Oh, go into Prefs and make sure "Set Device After Launch" is checked -- the "bring to front" code is mixed in with that. I'll separate the two in an upcoming build. If that's already checked but the Simulator still doesn't have focus on launch I'll have to poke at it some more.

4) Write config/build settings file to file. When editing I clicked ok, but had to manually input the code via the clipboard after. Being able to overwrite your current build/config files after making changes would be fantastic (if this feature is already and place)

Yeah, I just hate to automatically overwrite code in a file -- you can get people angry if it happens when they didn't expect it. :) I could add that as a checkbox option such as "Replace current build.settings code" but with the Alias feature you can actually have multiple build.setting files, config.lua files, etc., all in the same project.

When you create a new Project and specify the code in the Code Generator, *that* automatically creates those three main files.

5) Ability to use the new auto launch on code change feature

I'll have to take a look at that and see how it can be incorporated into CPM. I haven't even played with it yet.

Sorry if these seem picky

Not at all. I took these as "constructive criticism" and really appreciate it. Thanks.

Jay

Thanks for the reply and keep up the great work :)

#3 is indeed fixed. Thank you

About #2, is it possible to let people use their favorite editor but window it within CPM? I'm quite new to the Mac world so I don't know if this is possible but what I'm thinking is similar to what happens in the Wintel world where you can embed an Excel object in Powerpoint for example and when you right-click & choose edit you remain in Powerpoint but the ribbon-bar and menus change to those from Excel and you get to do your Excel editing until you save & exit the embedded Excel object back into Powerpoint. Does that resonate at all in the Mac world?

Actually, I think I could more easily embed Word or Excel in CPM than embed BBEdit or TextMate. But nobody would really want that. :)

What you ask would be cool but I'm pretty sure there's no decent (official) way to do that.

Jay

views:1652 update:2011/10/12 9:17:43
corona forums © 2003-2011