Performance Tips

Hi,

I need to increase the performance of the game I'm currently working on. I've searched this forum and read the performance tips session (http://developer.anscamobile.com/content/performance-and-optimization). But, I'm still in the dark.

My first question: Is there any profiler tool available?
Second: I'm using lots of transitions and timers - it's a game! :) - and saw some people recommending to avoid such features as they may decrease the game performance.

What's the overhead of using a timer or transition compared to "rewriting the wheel" and implement these features in the enterFrame function?

I'm sure a lot of people had and have performance problems. What were the bottlenecks? Does someone have any tip on where to start? What are the most intensive tasks?

Thanks in advance!

One tip from what I've discovered... The first time your app runs, save high overhead config and calculation data that does not change to a file and reference it on reuse.

Also calculations with a lot of overhead or recalculated over and again, the results can be saved to a variable for reuse. An example of this is calculating screen coordinates an inter-model values like offsets that are frequently referenced in formulas.

Love to hear other ideas as well beyond what is in the performance link above.

-David

views:1464 update:2011/11/10 9:30:09
corona forums © 2003-2011