Pushing app to Xcode's iOS simulator

I made a game framework and it works fine in the simulator. I tried pushing it to two different iPod touches and I only get a blank screen. I wanted to see what would happen on Xcode's iOS simulator but I'm not sure how to load the app into it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

I figured it out. You just need to build it for the iOS Simulator. My app worked fine on the Xcode simulator too. I'm not sure why it won't run on a real IOS device....

Do you have a paid Apple license? If you run it on your device while it's hooked up to your Mac and see the Xcode console you may be able to work out what's up from that.

Peach :)

Thanks for the reply, Peach...

Yes, I have a paid Apple developer account. How do I get Xcode to debug the app on my iDevice? I'm coming from the WIndows/Android side of things so all of the Apple stuff is new to me.

I tested the app on my Android phone and it runs fine there. I just seems to be the iPod touches that I've tried.

Mark

Ok, I figured out how to get debugging installed and I can see the console when I have the iPod connected. When I run the app I see the SDK trial message and can click ok on it but that's all I see. This is the only line in the console related to my app:

Sun Jan 29 09:11:48 unknown UIKitApplication:com.domain.EmptyGame[0x6be6][235] : Lua Runtime Error: lua_pcall failed with status: 2, error message is: ?:0: attempt to index upvalue '?' (a nil value)

I don't have any variables named "upvalue" so I'm not sure what this means.

Mark

Okay, I figured out the problem although I don't know why it worked in the simulators and on my Android phone. I'll explain what I did in case anyone else runs into this:

My project is just a simple game framework using storyboard. I have screens for splash screen, the game, settings, help, etc. I made a copy of my project and removed everything except the main.lua and my splashscreen.lua. I set storyboard to reload the splash screen every 3 seconds. I built this and tried it on the iPod but I still had the same problem and all it was showing was one PNG file. The PNG file was full screen so I decided to trim it and make it only the logo part of the image. When I tried to edit it, PhotoShop could not read the file. So I took another copy of the image and recreated the splash screen. I closed the image and reopened it in Photoshop to make sure it was working. Using this new PNG file, I was able to build both the testing project and my original project and they both ran on the iPod.

Thanks for your previous suggestion on using Xcode's console. Now I have that set up and I'm sure it will come in handy down the road.

Mark

Hey there,

Sorry I didn't get to respond to this sooner - thanks for keeping the thread up to date in the meantime!

It sounds like your image file was corrupted, although why it worked on Android and not iOS is beyond me - I have had a similar issue, a long while back - I believe it let me know in the terminal during the build that there was a corrupted image, though, so maybe keep an eye on that too?

(I know it scrolls quickly during builds but the spacing on errors makes them stand out.)

Peach :)

views:1750 update:2012/2/10 9:26:24
corona forums © 2003-2011