Insane tutorial/code request: Rogue/Diablo-like RPG.

I know I'm crazy for even asking this. :-p
I've always been good with the art side of things, and story boards, But when it comes to coding...

Anyways, to my insane request.
A 'simple' Diablo like demo game, should have:

2 playable characters, to show how to set up a Character Selection Screen.

4 or 8 directional movement(virtual D-pad), Keep player centered on screen, scroll background.

Stat system. (Strength, Dexterity, Charisma, Magic/mana)

Inventory bag and equipped item system.

1 spare outfit in inventory(to show how to change the characters sprite when an item is equipped)

At least 2 maps,to show how to transition to a new map. (can be single images or tiled, should have atleast 1 tree or building to show collision detection)

2 spells(1 healing, 1 damage).

A form of currency.

1 npc, who has a greeting, sells atleast 1 item, and gives 1 quest(go kill mob), and has 1 line of random gossip. again to show how to set this up.

1 mob, to show combat and basic AI(walking, attack if in certain range)

Simple UI, landscape layout, D-pad on the bottom left, attack and cast buttons on the right. Inventory button, health and mana bars bottom center.

Level up system.

Save Game system.

There's more I'm sure that I'm forgetting, but that's the basics.
It doesn't have to look good, MS Paint stick figures will be fine.
Out of all of this all I really know how to do right now is to show a single image background and movement thanks to Techority. But I cant figure out background scrolling/keep player centered. And the rest I'm almost at a complete loss.

A hell of a lot to ask for in a tutorial I know, but I've been looking over all the code examples/tutorials/etc for months now and I just cant get my head around it. And the parts I do understand, I don't know how to 'stick them together'.

Even if someone doesn't want to do all this for a free tutorial, make it a 'Corona RPG Framework' thing and sell it for $20-$50 a pop.
If anyone takes on this insane request, I and several others I'm sure will be eternally grateful!

The idea is nice...

People/Companies would pay good money for development so I doubt that you will get many takers for this one. however you will be able to find bit and pieces of what you are after if you look hard.

cheers,

?:)

I'm afraid asking for all of this to be delivered to your plate is a bit unrealistic. I'm guessing a fair share of people here only arrived at full final projects after digging around, studying, exploring and googling themselves. I would suggest doing the same, or teaming up with a programmer - if only for the simple reason that you will undoubtedly face problems during the project, for which you will need to really understand the code.

That being said - and I do feel like a boring old fart for having said that - a lot of what you ask is not that hard.

Have you checked Lime? That should get you pretty far. PropertyBag as well. Keeping your player centered is really easy:

- give all object an Xpos and Ypos value. Don't use the displayObject.x and .y value for this.
- every frame, start by getting the player position. This could be e.g. Xpos = 1200 and Ypos = 850.
- then calculate how much you need to subtract or add to these values to get the player in the center of the screen. For an iPhone 3 in landscape orientation (480 x 320 px screen size) this would be x = 240 and y = 160, so that means you need to subtract 960 from the Xpos of 1200, or adding -960. For the Ypos you need to add -690. The values are the "Camera Scrollvalues", CameraScrollX and CameraScrollY.
- don't forget that you calculate these two scrollvalues every frame so they change every frame, unless you stand still.
- Like I said in point 1, give ALL object an Xpos and Ypos value. Now set the .x and .y value to (object.Xpos + CameraScrollX) and (object.Ypos + CameraScrollY).

If this makes zero sense to you, I'm afraid you will have a hard time even working with someone else's code, so I hope this gets you up to at least some speed ;-)

Keep it up - coding gets easier pretty fast.

views:1303 update:2011/10/17 21:25:02
corona forums © 2003-2011